SPRING TURKEY SEASON 2015

Pausing only to take these photos, as I walked into the field searching for any spec of brown within my first line of sight.... so it went: 


 Bunches of these tiny blooms like God's paintbrush dappled across the field.

Turkey roosting trees along either side bid me good morning;  3/4 mile walk into the valley, deer paths criss-cross through the grass that will soon yield green with more spring rains.  


My photos never look as good as my eyes see nor smell as exhilarating as meadow grass.  I felt the excitement of turkey season upon me.  Sparkling sunshine mixed with cold blustery wind, so chilly I was sure glad I'd grabbed my knit winter cap and leather gloves for warmth.

I set up just after sunrise to the left of the path (photo) under a small tree. Toms gobbling on both sides inside the timber, I tried calling, no luck.  I sat there till well after 10, then I moved deeper into the field.  On the right, I walked past a good sized pond noting some ripples of fish as my footfalls disturbed them.  I set up my hen 'dec' 25 paces out from a thorn apple tree at the edge of the timber.

My gear in a pile, I went quietly around the backside of the tree, I had to find a bush. I could see a wide ditch about 40 yards of slope behind my tree. When I stood, I saw movement. I peaked through the nearby light-green brush, I was surprised, I know I let out a tiny gasp. Then I smiled - there, not more than 30 paces on the high side of the ditch below me was a nice buck bedded down. I saw its velvety antlers rock up and down licking his front-quarters.  That was no little yearling!  The leaves were sparse so I could see his nose and ears but couldn't count tines mixed in the branches.  He never knew I was there, the cold wind whipped straight into my face as I stood very still watching as long as I dared.  But I was turkey hunting; I silently went back to the tree and set up my gear.

Thankfully out of the wind, I sat warmed by the risen sun above my head.  Later in the ultra-hush of the woods, every hunter loves that hush, I heard the buck get up and walk away.

There were several gobbles nearby but none came closer to me. Yes, I wanted to shoot a turkey but being so comfortably snuggled under the tree while I watched squirrels gather food, an eagle fly over, songbirds lit on the branches within inches of me, and then having a buck nestled so close by was the ultimate for me.  My stomach started growling for lunch that I'd stowed in the Jeep.  'Hunting Time' was running out.
So near out of surgery I had had the will to go.... I always ask God to bless my hunt, so yeah He did..