URICH CONSERVATION AREA, AN EARLY SEASON BOW HUNT

2013 

One warm afternoon during bow season we opted for the hour drive to hunt Urich Conservation Area  prior to gun season's crowd chased off all the deer..... By then it would be futile to hope to have even a modicum productive deer hunt in that small area.  We loaded the Jeep with his climber stand and the ground blind I use, also an assundry of other supplies necessary including the small homemade deer cart. The usual mass mayhem of traffic kept us from making significant speed toward our hunting area that beckoned.  
    Pulling in the long gravel road my heart sank seeing another truck parked at the lot. Takes a lot to rile him, no surprise Ed displayed nothing.  As we gathered our gear the other hunter walked across the field toward us, Ed greeted the young man while I was immersed in my gear in the back seat. I was wishing I hadn't so much to carry on my back and the weather would cool down. The men were exchanging typical "how's the huntin' going?" small talk. I rolled my jacket into my backpack and joined them. He affirmed there were buck rubs in the area I intended to go, however his direction was farther than my energy could haul the pack on my back.
    The guy also told of a black panther seen in these parts of the county. That was knowledge to keep you aware but not enough to stop you, you go hunting anyway. Not likely to come face to face with a man-eating big black kitty.  He explained of preparing his stand to return the rest of his day before heading home to family just as his cell rang.
    Our new acquaintance was a good hunter, better than I had first feared.  My husband and the guy offered to help each other if any of us shot the "big boy". Hold that thought.  Not every hunter cordially gives you a heads'up where he's at so the meeting was welcome, wishing each other good luck as we wave our hands heading into the woods.  

      The young man left from the parking lot toward the creek's plateau, the same timber that harbors those elusive turkeys, obviously he was also familiar to the basin layout that had become so overgrown that a big buck could stand amidst the mass of downed tree trunks destroyed by flooding, it'd never be seen. A ghostly statue standing in the bowels of dark haunting woods. It's their boudoir, not fit for humans. 
    My husband giving me a good luck kiss, headed across the field just across the gravel drive. Better tree stand trees there.  I was reassured and hopeful.  Optimistic then, I stepped into my feelin'-good stride.  

About twenty-five yards off a deer trail between a triangular section of pine trees and a stretch of thin oak trees above a deep ravine, I stopped listening carefully for the slightest hoof noise, scanning the same grassy corridors I had walked three years ago...  


    I walked around the path loop, glad it was mowed this year, made walking much easier with my back heavy with gear
I was close to twenty yards from, as a beginning bow hunter, two does hopped out of the forest edge.  They stood still for a second there, ears twisting with typical deer radar-circular motion, tails flip flopping, caught a whiff of me and flip-flagged-white back into the timber.  My jaw dropped stunned as I stood frozen, awed -- and that was all I needed for my heart to pound, excited hopeful for another encounter.  I wouldn't just stand there next time, miss another chance like that. I've dreamed of it ever since. 
    Some men may scoff at getting excited over a doe but when a deer presents itself on public land, you don't be persnickety (in Missouri) unless it's a nonqualifying buck.  Especially bowhunting, where ever you bowhunt it takes a lot more finesse and skill simply to get up close 'n personal.  Fill that tag.  
    It's an honorable thing to take pride in filling a freezer of meat. When a doe gets within 30 yards of me, it's dinner.  My first bow kill gave me the most adrenaline rush, most primal thrill of accomplishment I have ever had...yet another day.  

Blind with a bow...



    I've set up the ground blind many times --  I wiggled out of the tight straps dropping the twenty pound blind in the weeds and the overstuffed backpack too.  Sweating, I slipped off my jacket to my T-shirt and sprayed 'No-Scent' over me.  I speedily and quietly set up the blind.  The day was still too warm.  I stepped twenty paces to a higher pine tree branch, hung my scent rope I'd made from a bright pink jumprope (don't laugh, deer are colorblind and being bright pink I've never lost it and my husband won't use it).  I made sure it was in clear sight of my chair inside the blind. Grabbing my saw, I slashed and chopped down the closest, more impenetrable scrub brush that would interfere with a shot.  I paced to another small tree within thirty yards, carefully unscrewed the doe pee I kept in a baggy in my thigh pocket and dribbled the liquid on the tops of weeds.  Oh that's a ripe odor.  Last, I dribbled a few drops on the grass and the knotted pink rope.  All this preparation to lure a deer with the most sensitive nose on the planet and I pace the distance since I don't own a range finder -- it's a mental gauge for distance.  Done. 
    Finally I settled down to listen and watch from my little folding chair.  Ahhhhh.... I basked in the peace and quiet of the woods, and the sun warmed the blind therefore I didn't need any jacket till dusk. I merely had to maneuver the folding chair into the backside of the blind into the shadows to avoid being seen.
    So why don't I use a 'climber' stand?  I do whenever time allows.  I found out the hard way, with dusk encroaching too quickly I was all-thumbs to install the climber into position up a tree.  It's truly too cumbersome so I set it up the day prior to my hunt, already in place it takes only a minute to hoist myself and gear fifteen feet up a tree.  Much less hassle.  Then it is comfortable as a lounge chair to sit observing the woods below.  I love the view, fantastic from a tree stand. I've simply not mastered all the maneuvering yet.

    Inside the blind I sat relaxed. I donned my head net, hat and light jersey gloves and attached the trigger-release to my wrist. Bein' such a short-stuff I rolled up my jacket to use as a cushion on the foldable seat. Then I laid two arrows against a weed next to me - yeppir - I was ready.  After I took a big drink of my ice water I set the bow across my lap. It was about an hour and a half till sunset.
   Like Huck Finn chewing on a blade of grass I became engrossed in the fall colors, the sumac had begun to turn dark crimson and the oak leaves a soft mustard color. Watching the acrobatic squirrels jump from tree to tree was amusing to pass the time but I was aware the sun was quickly fading over the trees and I knew I had to be alert. 




Just as the sun's last warmth like a watercolor turned muddy, its amber light faded, a deer walked behind me.  I heard the swish of stiff grass, felt the footfall. I instantly raised the bow in reflex -- pulled to a full draw.  I caught my breath as I sat ready, held my arrow aimed at the blind window.  I heard the sumac shrub rustle a short distance of the blind again.  Something was there!  Bow at full draw, shifted my weight, but I could not make out any shape of an animal. I peered through the peep sight to focus, swore barely audibly as I admitted the moment was past... it was too dark to see through the peep sight.   Now it was obviously not and I could not shoot anyway.  I disengaged the bow and arrow with a quick sigh.  My day was done.  Enclosed in the ground blind the shadow was enveloping; I dropped the blind so I could see to gather my gear with the encompassing darkness.  The last seconds of daylight was enough to walk without a flashlight.


'Another uneventful hunt by the wayside' I said half-out-loud to myself as I headed to the Jeep parked quarter of a mile away.  I was tired but my soul felt recharged and I was ready to go home in spite of the city.





Link to MAP:

Comments