SEARCH FOR TURKEY

So Ya Wanna Kill a Turkey...


   This post is an unprofessional, hopefully useful tale, for youngsters and you inexperienced hunters and huntresses who might enjoy hunting with Gramma or Grandpa or a mentor.  It's sure a heck of a lot more fun for us oldies to have you tag along, as long as you don't talk with a bird in sight!  We all love to personally guide you.
     Maybe you are relying on your own vehicle, possibly a handed down or loaner shotgun.  You don't have a clue what to do, what to wear or where to go to hunt.  Those eager salesclerks will be all in your face to sell the latest garb, maybe you'll need and more 'n likely won't.. it's just their job to try.   YouTubes, and any online sources and magazines to give you sound reasonable heads-up how to kill a turkey.  You can learn firsthand from Gramma and Granpappy what to wear, the rest is up to you how to go 'bout learning turkey hunting.  First off, it's nothing like deer hunting, more like hunting squirrel if you are familiar.

    This applies mostly to Fall turkey hunting.  This day I took my grandson eager to learn to hunt with me.  

    In Missouri, Fall Firearm Turkey season was over by sunset OCT. 31. 
I took my grandson that day, and I told him, "I killed my very first turkey years ago on the last day in the last five minutes of light before sunset.  It ain't over till it's over."  I think he thought I was just tellin' tales but that hunt years ago did happen just that way.
   
    We found the deer highway along the back side, outer edge of the cornfield, so hidden by tall grass a deer would not be visible.  He got all hopeful and excited to gun hunt there come rifle season.  I didn't mean to burst his bubble but I informed him it's like a warzone with other gun hunters come the first light of opening morning.

turkey track




On our hunt, the day had been sunny and warm, we'd been walking through tall grass and needed a rest.  I spotted a scrub tree with some kind of red berries on it that had enough room under the low branches for us to squat or lay down to rest.  The farm tractor had mowed a swathe the width of a city cul-de-sac, just an FYI for you inexperienced hunters, that grass's perfect for turkeys to eat the last bugs of the day as they gather up prior to roosting.
    We crawled under the loose branches into the cool shade.  The greener lush grass was soft as a pillow; he instantly stretched out comfortably to snooze.  Mind you, this is the kid who escaped to his room with his head buried in video games rather than be sociable for a birthday party.
    I showed him how to loop the camo netting around the branches low next to the ground to hide his blue jean legs and shoes.  So there my 15 year old grandson and me relaxed in the cool grass and munched on ham sandwiches I had stashed in my pack.  Within a minute he napped under the scrubby berry laden tree.   We laughed out loud when I wrapped my own netting on my head - I looked like Linus on Charlie Brown's Halloween cartoon.  I blew the mouth call awhile and being tired, stretched out too.  Wouldn't ya know, that's when it called so loud it brought me to a full tenHUTT!  A damn turkey bird!  The crow called and it responded with its own!   It was in the next field.  I tried a few calls to draw it in -- in vain.  That was disappointing but at least I heard one call because turkeys don't always get vocal.   And it was too stubborn or too slow to come in to our set up.  We decided to slowly walk the two miles back to the Jeep and keep our eyes and guns ready for a turkey along the way.  It didn't happen but it had been well worth the walk.
    We trudged up the path; I told my young partner, "maybe it was call shy or maybe went to the other side of the field - I've seen crows dive bomb hen turkeys.  If we bump birds, chase 'em,  And if you have a shot at the lead bird, don't wait for me, just shoot.  Keep the safety on while ya walk"  He asked,"do we really run after 'em?"  I explained they'll flock up again if you find a tree to draw them into shooting range.  "So I can shoot first? Okay! Has Grandpa ever beat you to it?"  I said," yep".  He laughed knowing it would have pissed me off too, although my husband has no compunction about it.



field at Smithville Lake 
    We continued walking on the mowed path then across three fields and through a narrow section of timber toward the Jeep.  I thought to myself, amused, there is now way two people can sneak up on turkeys stomping through crunchy leaves and brush in these woods.  I smiled.
    I wanted to see the farthest field to show him the spot I'd shot at two big Toms fighting in the bushes one spring.  I told him the story how I missed them both when I shot, the bushes were too thick and both gobblers took off in flight like jets as I sat under the huge oak tree at the far right of the photo.  I just stared at both birds in defeat that day.
    My grandson's banter at my failure made me laugh how stupid I must have looked.   He admitted how cool it would be to see, as we jaunted up the gravel tractor lane that cut through the corn field leading to the area I'd hunted years ago.  Being a playful boy, he bit off kernels of corn from husks he grabbed as he swung his arm to swat the tall outer rows.  I loved watching him be so relaxed as I felt excited reaching the acres of vivid green that surrounds the lake edge.
    As dusk fell across the horizon, with only minutes to spare, I pointed at a stout maple next to the fence, asked him if he was ready to shoot.  Eyes lit up, he shot me the biggest grin "Yeah!"  I knew he was ready to get rid of some testosterone, and me some adrenaline.  I stood behind and suggested he walk 50 paces from the tree, sit and shoot when ready.  He sat, took aim and BOOM!  His arm shot up in triumphant excitement, he exclaimed "I hit it"!  I hollered, feeling his excitement, "how'd that feel?"  "Great!"
    We didn't have a paper target but he showed me the pellets pattern on the tree.  It was a scattered pattern so I motioned him to sit ten yards (paces) closer.  He took another shot at the tree.  Both our adrenaline was pumped, just to hear the shots was exhilarating.  The gunpowder vapor wafted between us, its odor intoxicating.
    My turn.  I hadn't shot my gun in over a year.  I wasn't prepared for the full kick from 3" High velocity shells in my gun.  I'm not especially proud of my shot but nonetheless I couldn't resist -- shoulda known -- his ammo was 2" #5s.  That damn blast knocked me on my ass.  Literally. We laughed ourselves silly with me lying on the ground! Because of my surgeries that year I was weaker-than-a-newborn-colt. And I had used the most potent shell so wow it packed a big punch!  Bigger than I'll ever need for the way I hunt.  
    What a good ending to a non-productive hunt.  For me, it was so worth it to spend time with my grandson and he kept telling me how much fun he had - killing a bird or not.   I was very content to have him 'tag' along.  "Tha's what I'm talkin' about!" with a big high-five back at the Jeep....

Oh I love the feeling.  Making good memories and getting the younger generation outdoors  - - that's what it's all about!

Links for turkey hunting:
www.nwtf.org

[turkey cluck noises]
.http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html

              

Comments